Dee's Life

This is a blog about anything I feel like talking about. I update it when I want and write what I want. Sometimes it's about me, but sometimes it's about current events.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

RESPECT...what does it mean to you?

I live on a back road. I have almost three acres of land. Everyone in the neighborhood has either a dirt bike or a four-wheeler or something like that. We have trails behind our house that are perfect for riding these ATVs. Our neighbors to the left and their neighbors do too! It's fun! I want them destroyed! I now HATE having land! We had an agreement with everyone on the street: You use our land, we use yours and no one blames anyone else if they get hurt. Well, one family didn't think this meant they had to be respectful and actually watch their children while riding on our land. So I called them to clear it up. I thought I was nice about it. All I said was I want your children supervised by an adult while they are on my land. These parents are known in the community for not paying attention to their children. They are also known in the town for "pawning their children off on others so they don't have to deal with them." (not my words!) Well, these neighbors went completely crazy and tried to get the whole neighborhood mad at us. Well, the neighbors all called me to reassure me that I was right to want them to care for their children when they are on my land. It's the respectful thing to do. Maybe I shouldn't, but I am going to post the email my husband sent to the whole neighborhood about this. Names have been changed out of respect. Here it is:

After I spoke with you on the phone I realized I could not clearly describe Dee and my position with regards to children operating motorized vehicles in the common woods behind Jim and Chers house, Bills and Lanas house, and our house. So I felt it might be best to try to do it in writing, and send copy to all the neighbors so there are no misunderstandings.

I personally feel that it is great having neighbors that allow other people to use their land for recreational use, that is something that is truly hard to find. I appreciate it, and I am sure the rest of you do as well. However there has been an issue that has been troubling me for some time with regards to the safety of our children.

I feel that a young child operating a motorized vehicle is dangerous to begin with. Those machines need to be treated with a tremendous amount of respect and care to avoid serious injury. This respect is not always given by young children. They feel, as we all did at one time, invincible. Children sometimes don't understand the repercussions of their actions so they may have a tendency to ride carelessly and get hurt as we have already seen many of them do already.

Sunday, I heard two bikes in the woods. At first I didnt give it any thought because the kids are always back there having fun. Then I noticed that Bill wasnt out side with them, Cher wasnt outside with them, and I was about to leave the house for the day. I suddenly didnt feel so comfortable with this situation knowing that these children were riding with no supervision. I then asked my wife to call the parents of the children and explain that we didnt like the fact that these kids were operating motorized vehicles behind the houses unsupervised. Apparently this ruffled some feathers, but I am standing behind what I have said. I dont want any children operating motorized vehicles in the woods UNSUPERVISED. Please note that the key is unsupervised. I feel that if there is anyone riding in the woods in back there should be some supervision to at least available if an accident should occur. I don’t feel that this is an unreasonable request.

Maybe I am wrong, overreacting, or just paranoid about the safety of your kids, but please understand that all I am asking for is some on site supervision when we allow our children to ride.

There's a reply from her that I will post at a different time...probably tomorrow.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home